A Student Representative (Rep) is a member of the student community who is elected by their class to represent them at meetings with their institution’s faculty and other representatives.
This requires them to take on the responsibility of keeping track of when meetings are and organising the feedback of their class mates into points to bring up at these meetings. In an educational organisation spread over a wide geographical area that handles tens of thousands of enrolments, it can be difficult for meetings to be organised, relevant students be alerted and feedback to be properly recorded.
This is where the Student Representative Alert System (SRAS) comes into play. With the aim of being a centralised system for all student reps across all campuses, providing meeting times, alerts and note storing functionality, all accessible at all times on either a desktop or mobile device.
A student will be able to log in to this system using their standard educational organisation credentials, record points to raise at Student Rep meetings and save them for later, and also see a timetable of meetings and their locations.
SRAS should be easily accessible and very simple to use, particularly on mobile devices. Being used in an educational environment, the system must exemplify accessibility standards.
The system should make it easier for Student Reps to access meeting information, and also provides the functionality of automated meeting alerts via e-mail, which should ultimately improving Student Rep meeting attendance and therefore productivity.
This will help to improve the overall student community voice and experience, and with the extra engagement and involvement in the academic process, it should also have a positive effect on student satisfaction and subsequently the performance of the college.
The system must provide the same level of functionality whether used on a mobile device, tablet or computer. From a design perspective, the interface should be clear and simple, to a minimalist level.
Key functionality must include:
- Two different types of user account: Administrator and Student
- A noticeboard for messages from administrators concerning meeting cancellations/alterations. This will be on the front page of the website, forming the main content of the user interface.
- The ability for an administrator to add/edit meeting dates, times and locations.
- An e-mail alert system to notify registered students of upcoming meetings.
- An up-vote based motion system to allow students to propose a motion and enable other students to register measureable support.
- The ability for administrators to remove a motion.
- Student Reps will be added to the system by the administrator. This will prevent unknown parties from attempting to register in the system.